Silpakorn University is presently under the supervision of the Office of the Higher Education Commission, the Ministry of Education and was originally established as the School of Fine Arts under the Fine Arts Department in 1933. Primarily, the school has offered the only studying programs in Painting and Sculpture by waiving tuition fees for the government officers and the students.
Ars longa, vita brevis– Professor Silpa Bhirasri
Its inception and development owed much to an almost lifetime devotion of Professor Silpa Bhirasri, an Italian sculptor (previously called Professor Corrado Feroci) who was commissioned during the reign of King Rama VI to work in the Fine Arts Department. He subsequently enlarged the classes to include greater members of the interested public before taking his initiative in setting up the School of Fine Arts.
Silpakorn University also extends the educational capacity through establishing a new campus in Phetchaburi Province for promoting the higher education in the western Provinces of Thailand since 1997 and the new campus was named “Phetchaburi Information Technology Campus”. In 2001 and 2002, the Faculty of Animal Sciences and Agricultural Technology and the Faculty of Management Science were established consecutively in Phetchaburi Campus. In 2003, the Faculty of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) was established as well as Silpakorn University International College (SUIC) was established at the same period for providing the international curriculum in different academic fields of studies.
In addition, Silpakorn University also maintains a Graduate School established since 1972 to facilitate and responsible for all offering graduate programs at Silpakorn University.
For more information : http://www.su.ac.th/en/about.php